Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Hilarious Sr. Maria Hilarion - An Interview by Rev. Fr. Girish Santiago


Funeral at St. Mary's Church - Nadiad



Please click the below given link for the more Funeral photos







Hilarious Sr. Maria Hilarion

Rev. Fr. Girish with Sr. Maria Hilarion
Introduction

As I heard about the sad news about the death of Rev. Sr. Maria Hilarion from Sr. Madhu Macwan of Kalol St. Anne’s Superior, I only thanked God for the wonderful, cheerful and the fulfilled life of my beloved missionary mentor since 1992. This was the time I was a Jesuit Regent at Kalol St. Xavier’s and I used to visit Sr. Maria regularly for my spiritual and apostolic conversation at Unteshwari Sandhya Vishram - a Home for the aged.  As a religious Sister she was like a mother and a grandmother to me till her last days of her life.

At least once a year regularly I was visiting her in Nadiad and she was very regular calling me over the phone and she would freely talk to me. One and half year back she came specially to Unteshwari and was visiting all of us joyfully and with a saintly smile she was spreading God’s loving fragrance in the vicinity of Unteshwari Tirthadham – a mission centre where she toiled to strengthen the faith of the early Christians - Isupanthis of this region. Oh, she was joyful and we were joyful to meet each other and experienced the true meaning of JOYFUL VISITATION!

In such a visit, I requested her to share about her life. Though initially she was hesitant, later she said,”Father Girish, since you ask me, I am ready to share. But, no need to write about me while I am living.” Having said this I could experience her tears falling on my office table at Unteshwari. She waited for a while then she held my hands saying: “You are my special Priest. So, you can ask me now!”  Yes. We loved each other. Ours was a barrier free love!

Seeing such an emotional environment I just wiped the fallen tears and said, “We value your sweat and tears for this North Gujarat Mission. You will be ever remembered by all of us and come to bless us with your physical presence when we shall start celebrating the Golden Jubilee of our North Gujarat Mission from June 19, 2014 onwards for a year.” Well, man proposes and God disposes! That’s reality of life. Now, let me share the conversation which we had. Our conversation was very much bilingual – English and Gujarati. Read and Relish this Hilarious Maria Hilarion, the Zealous Missionary and Experienced Educator!

 Could you share about you and your family?

My name is Maria. This was my Baptismal name. I was born on 7.2.1925 at Keriavi, my mother’s village (mosal), six kilometres away from Nadiad towards Petlad. My Father was Hilarion Christian  and his original name was Mangalbhai. My mother was Agnesben and her original name was Surajben.  My maternal grandfather was Mathurbhai. He was an agriculturist and belonged to Salvation Army. He was very particular about educating his girl child Surajben and got her educated till 5th standard at that time!
We all lived initially at Sanandia Vas in Nadiad. Very interestingly our ancestors left Sanand due to the flood during the British rule and got settled in Nadiad. This is how we got settled at this place and lived for some years in Nadiad.

Let me share about my brothers and sisters in order.

NO
Name
Particulars
1
Maria
Myself
2
Joseph
Younger brother; lived in Gomtipur; Expired
3
Thomas
Younger brother; lived in Bhavnagar; Expired
4
Ignas
Younger brother; at the age of 2 he died
5
Martha
Younger sister; at the age of 4 she died
6
John
Younger brother; at the age of 6 months died
7
Martha
Youngest sister; lives in Meghaninagar, Ahmedabad.

Note: “Except Martha and Maria all have gone to eternal Father.” said smilingly Sr. Maria.

About my Education and Profession 

 Standard
Place of education / profession
Remarks
1st to 3rd
In Kanajari Boriyavi

4th to 5th
In Vadtal
My father was a teacher here
6th to 7th
In Anand FC convent school
By now I was 16 years old
PTC
Maha Laxmi training college – Govt.; Ahmedabad
PTC for three years; stayed in the govt. Hostel; My room partner was Ms. Pilamai, an aged Parsi widow; an understanding lady. Two LD nuns: Sr. Stanislaus and Sr. Alvisha were next to my room; they were one year junior to me. Sr. Stanislaus became very good friend of mine.
Every morning at 4 o’clock the hostel superintendent Ms. Baptista, a catholic and I  regularly went for Mass to the Mirzapur Church.
For holidays I never went home. Instead I went to Mount Carmel AC convent. Met Sr. Silia, AC; she cared for me at the same time she formed me to fall in love for Jesus; not with any young boys. I laboured for Jesus in the chapel of theirs.  Indeed it was a tough training by the AC nuns; I can never forget their professional training. I value them all.
While being in the hostel I enjoyed watching cinema; reading historic novels – especially of Kanaiyalal Maneklal Munshi’s; read books on catholic saints; specially used visit Fr. Surya, SJ – he was the one who strengthened my vocation (by saying this she cried); Fr.Myres, SJ, St. Xavier’s school – Mirzapur Principal  too encouraged me to join the convent.
Fr. Basil Lala supported me a lot and motivated me to become a nun.
As a Teacher (Gujarati)
At Mount Carmel school, Ahmedabad
From age 20 to 33 – worked as a Gujarati language teacher; starting per month’s salary was Rs. 50/-
It was at this time Ms. Gunavanti teacher of Mount Carmel encouraged me to go for BA. Bed in Hindi.  Sr. Barbara, AC, the Principal  too was very keen on my learning.
My prayer at this time: “Lord, give me good girl friends that they may lead me to the right path” – (Isu mane sarama sari bahenpani apjo. Jethi mane sara sanmarge dore)

As a Teacher (Gujarati, Hindi, Social Study – samajvidhya)
In St. Anne school, Nadiad
From 1959 – 1972: From 8th – 11th std. Taught. Enjoyed teaching and stitching as a nun.
As a teacher and a pioneer
St. Anne school, Kalol – had already 1st to 4th.
From 1973 I was in Kalol.
I was the one who got the permission to start 5th.
Here I always served as a class teacher of each standard.
At this time we were: Srs. Doloros, Maria Ignacia, Antonia and myself lived in Kalol and moved to Unteshwari and Deesa. During this period Fr. Herero, SJ was my spiritual director to whom i made my confession every 15 days.
I taught in the school; then visited villages; taught catechism for the local catechumens; specially to the Majirana kids, Ravals and Thakors ; We worked closely with the Jesuit Frs. M.D. Garriz, Kolady and Robert.
We were very much assisted by the lay leaders like Raval Babaldass of Nardipur and Badaraji Majirana of Deesa.
We lived a simple life. We really smelt the smell of our flock. We were happy in our missionary works. People used long for our visits. Day time with women – taught them to read and write; also stitching; Evening taught the men to live a meaningful life and to grow in the love of Jesus.
Retired life at Unteshwari and later in Nadiad
At Unteshwari Sandhya Vishram; later in Matruchhaya.
Sr. Pushpa Paul as  a Provincial asked me to go to Unteshwari and live a retired life. But, I in my mine neither got retired nor tired. I continued to visit people and prepare them to live a faith-filled life in Jesus and Mary.
In Nadia I enjoyed visiting the neighbourhood Vaghri children and taught them to read and write. Teaching was my mission. I continue to enjoy till the end.
I thank my dad for educating me and showing the importance of girl child even at that time. He ever supported me in my education. 
  

2.       When did you feel like becoming the Religious Sister?

When I was studying in FC convent at Anand I felt like joining. But I did not know in which convent. Gradually I became aware of FC, LD and later AC. At my 34th age, I felt the call of God strongly. One thing was very clear. I told my brother Joseph, some sisters have come to Nadiad. Take me to this convent. I want to join in a convent where I do not know anyone.
Having understood my words, my brother took me to Nadiad and explained about my vocation to the Sisters of Charity of St. Anne (SchSA). Having listened to my brother and myself they uttered: “Ok. We shall take her. We are also looking for a PTC finished person for we want to start std 5th, for which we require such a teacher”. So, they took me and made me to wear the dress of a postulant for six months and immediately made me to join the novitiate. Within a year I became a religious St. Anne nun. While being in the novitiate I was also teaching in the school. Because of which sisters got the permission to start the 5th. May be everything was God’s plan. All for God’s greater glory! I simply obeyed and pronounced my first vows in the year 1959. I was a teacher from the beginning in the Congregation. May be this was God’s will for me! I accepted it JOYFULLY!

3.       What do you say as a Missionary about the Church of North Gujarat? 

·         I feel proud of the Church of North Gujarat. In spite of various difficulties, the Church was planted 50 years back and I am really happy to see the growing Church. My humble appreciation to Garriz Bapu for the real breakthrough among the caste Hindus of North Gujarat.  

·         People accepted us fully as Christian missionaries and accepted Jesus as their Guru – Master. Happy to see the slow and steady church in North Gujarat. It is God’s work. So, God will take care. We must continue trusting in the Lord.

·         Fr. Garriz somehow from the beginning never liked me. He insulted me in public on my first visit itself in the year 1973 with Sr. Doloros at Unteshwari (By saying this again her eyes were full of tears). Still, I humbly controlled and surrendered myself to God and walked joyfully in the midst of the people. For I was sent to do God’s will not any human’s will! I did strongly experience initially the internal persecution in this region. That hindered our healthy growth in the mission.

After few years he asked me pardon and started appreciating my unassuming good works. I took it well and did everything as part of God’s greater glory!

·         In all these, my mission mantra has been: “ Isu, hu tane chahun chhun; karan ke te mane pahela chahi chhe” – Jesus, I love you. Because, you have loved me first.

·         I come from a Vanakar family. But, we never did anything of weaving for the past seven generations. Instead, we have been always very faithful in the Faith formation of people in Christian faith. What we have experienced, we continue to share such experience with all kinds of people in our Faith journey.  

·         I feel content with the missionary work of mine in this region. I used to literally pull Mrs. Champaben Kantibhai Raval of Kalol for various singing, dancing and praying programme. I am so glad to see her son Kamlesh as a Jesuit Priest from this region. Also I am very happy to see our Sister Surya Bhavsang of Unteshwari flourishing. All these are fruits of our labour as missionaries of North Gujarat. Thanks be to God!

·         I am so glad to relate with you Fr. Girish. I have a very respectable love for you as a Priest of North Gujarat. I know you for many years. I just appreciate your love for the people of all kinds. That attracts me most and I am glad to see your smiling face without any anger. Say always: “Isu, tara vina mane kashunj joytu nathi – Jesus, you alone is enough. I do not need anything!”

4.       How do you see the present set of Sisters in your Congregation and what would be your message for them?
·         These days ‘bindas’ attitude; each one would like to do what each one wants and likes; not what God wants or likes us to do through the community discernment. Lot of individualism is gripping in. We need to grow in the WE feeling of our Congregation.  
·         Missionary zest needs to be regained. Be available and be always enthusiastic in doing everything for God and His people. Never stop visiting people. Share all that we have with the people. Be at their side. They will be at our side at an appropriate time.
·         We need to pray for Fathers, Sisters and Collaborators. 
·         Fall in love and Stay in Love with JESUS and JESUS alone!


Conclusion

Sr. Maria Hilarion Christian is no more with us physically. But, she lives very much spiritually in the midst of our Christian and non-Christian people. Her grace-filled long life itself is a testimony to the joyful submission to the mission activities of God. Her committed missionary life itself is the message to many of us to commit totally for a noble cause without counting the cost! May the cheerful Maria REST IN PEACE!

Fr. Girish Santiago, SJ

Unteshwari Sammilitalayam

9 Add comments:

  1. Comments from Facebook updated by BBN admin

    Hiren Macwan, Sujal Parmar, Simon Christian and 26 others like this.
    16 shares

    Mina Prakash RIP

    Hemant Macwan May the Risen Lord Jesus reward her tireless selfless service RIP

    Apeksha Parmar-Shah Rip

    Meckwan Shital RIP

    Jashoda Macwan R I P. Rewarded from The Lord.

    Shashikant Patelia RIP

    Sunil Parmar May her soul R I P

    Albina Macwan RIP

    Smita Mac RIP

    Henry Pinto R.I.P.

    Roshni Macwan RIP

    Alois Joseph R. I. P.

    Agnes K Stephan RIP. i know sr. Maria very well when i was teaching in St.Anne's high school .she always used to tell us make sure that our catholic students study well. and all get pass. she was very caring person.miss you sr, maria.

    Kalpesh Christian RIP

    Raman Makvana Simple and an expert relefion teaching

    Jyoti Davla May her soul rest in peace

    Mehul Patelia RIP

    Vipul Macwan RIP

    Sneha Parmar RIP

    Hasmukh Mecwan RIP.

    Cedric Prakash May she rest in peace!

    Jayantibhai Vaghela May she rest in peace!

    Frank Zildjian rip

    Dilip Jerome RIP

    Jagdish Parmar RIP

    Vipul Parmar RIP

    Joyel Christian RIP

    Simon Christian RIP

    Tina Peters RIP

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Facebook. comments updated by BBN admin

    Rekha Macwan RIP ....

    Sandeep Dabhi RIP

    Anirudh Taylor RIP

    Suzen Peter R.I.P....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Fr. Santiago and BBN for sharing the life story of late sister. Very moving and inspirational indeed. May she rest in eternal peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God creates out of nothing. Wonderful you say. Yes, to be sure, but he does what is still more wonderful: he makes saints out of sinners.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only God can look at somebody's heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for posting the interview of my Grandmother (Aunty of my dad). Many things even I was not knowing about her and my ancestry. By publishing this you have given me a bundle of joy knowing about my bloodline (family).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful jeevan kavan of Sr.Maria, I appreciate Fr.Girish for his nice aalekhan. She has prepared my two daughters for first communion at Kalol, and I am thankful to her. Spiritual teacher, I remembered, she scold also when we were talking in that mass with stict eyes. Thank you. Sr.Maria, Hope, you will keep your students in your prayers there too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. R I P
    Francis Bruno

    ReplyDelete


Thank you and stay connected