Monday, February 3, 2014

GOLDEN JUBILEE OF ZANKHVAV MISSION

Please click the below given link for the celebration photos.


Commitment To Christ and His People By Rev. Fr. Galdos S.J.

1. FIRST MISSIONARY STEPS IN ZANKHVAV AREA.

Rev. Fr. Galdos SJ
It was when I was studying at the end of my second year of Theology in 1961, at St. Mary’s College, Kurseong (Dt. Darjeeling) that Fr. Charles Gomes S.J., Provincial of Gujarat appointed me first to the Dangs and after a month to the Tribal Missions of Bharuch.

After my Ordination at St. Mary’s H.S. Compound, Mazagaon, Mumbai by Cardinal Valerian Gracias on the 24th of March, 1962 I visited Bharuch with my sister Arantza. We met over there our first pioneers of Bharuch: Frs. J. Samada, J.L. Arana, Moreta and V. Carricas. It was a delight to see them so happy and enthusiastic with beautiful plans for the future in spite of their extreme poverty and lack of necessary things for life.

At the beginning of 1963 some Tribal Protestants, from Kavachia, (Valia Ta.) belonging to the Church of the Brethren, were like sheep without shepherd, since many American Protestant Pastors and leaders had gone back to their own countries with their families.

Amir Janjiria Vasava from Kavachia went to Bharuch to invite the Fathers to visit and instruct a few families in the Catholic Faith in Kavachia and open a Primary School in Rajvadi. Which was readily accepted.

Frs. Arana and Carricas and later Fr. Moreta started instructing people in Kavachia.

On the 19th of March 1963 after my Theology and before my Tertianship I landed in Bharuch. From here I was sent to give catechetical instructions in Vakatpura, Talodra, and Panvadi and visited many villages like Nana Jambuda, Mugach, Kavachia and Rajvadi.

On the 6th of JUNE, 1963 the PRIMARY SCHOOL OF RAJVADI was opened by Fr. Carricas. Amir Janjiria was the School Master and Catechist.

On the 10th of June l963 I left Bharuch for Tertianship at La Providence (Kodaikanal).

On the 26th of June, 1963, 12 Tribals from Kavachia were baptized by Fr. Carricas.

I was back in Bharuch by the 22nd of April, 1964 and went on visiting and instructing the tribal villages.

Again in Kavachia 17 Tribals were baptized by Fr. Carricas on 09-05-64.

Then at the end of May, 1964, Fr. Arana, the Parish Priest of Bharuch, in consultation with Frs. Carricas and Moreta and me decided he would be in charge of Dediapada-area, Carricas of Jhagadia, Moreta of Bharuch Boarding and Ankleswar area and I would be in charge of Zhankhvav area.

2. MY FIRST SEVEN MONTHS AS MISSIONARY IN ZANKHVAV AREA

2.1. C0NTACTING TRIBALS IN THEIR OWN SURROUNDINGS. JUNE, 1964.

I used to go by train from Bharuch to Kosamba and from there by “baba-gadi” to Zhankhvav and then by bus to Kelikuva, at the North-East of Mangrol taluka. When no bus was available there, I had to walk from Zhankhvav to Kavachia.

We spent many days in the villages, contacting the Tribals and making friends with the leaders and the young. We had no money, no jeeps, no motorbikes, no institutions in Adivasi land. We only had a Boarding and a Primary School for tribal boys in the city of Bharuch and the spirit to give ourselves fully to Christ and to the poor.

We were happy individually and as a Jesuit Community. We interacted with the Tribals in their own villages and exchanged ideas. We lived close to them. So we felt that we were enriched by their simplicity, spontaneity, wisdom and the joy of life.

I used to stay in Kavachia or Rajvadi and from there I would go visiting few new villages, listening to them, talking to them and knowing them. I found the Tribals very friendly and very hospitable. They gave us the best possible food they could give us. And the best arrangements to sleep though some times we had to sleep on the ground and in the cold as they themselves did. Of course there were no toilets and in some villages at night we had to fight against flees and bugs. Often we did not know where we were going to eat or sleep. But we were inspired fully by the power of the Spirit.

Amir Master used to accompany me to the villages. It was through his relatives that we were invited to many villages like Nani Fokdi: {Margiabhai), Moti- Fokdi, Umar (Motibhai) , Vanki, Umarjhar (Pokelia) . Umakhadi (Gurji Superia), Chitalda, Karvidadra (Kalio Tetia) and Amba (Ukedia)….

2.2. APOSTOLIC CALLINGS FROM THE EAST OF ZANKHVAV. JULY, 1964.

At the beginning of July 1964, I got a letter from Vasant Chita, Amir's nephew, who was running a small shop in Goulavadi (South Dediapada Ta.). First we went from Rajvadi walking to Nani Fokdi and had a meeting at night at Rupa’s house, the 'faher-in-law' of Amir, who was a gentleman. Next morning we went to Amba to Ukedia´s house, a very good man, brother of the sister-in-law of Amir.

At noon we paid a visit to the founders of Kevdi Uttar-Buniyadi Ashram, Miss Pettit, a Parsi social worker and ex-student of St Anne’s School, Kolaba. When she saw me, all drenched in water, at once told me,“You are a Catholic Missionary. No other will get out from home under these heavy showers of rain.”

Late evening after two hours- and- a half walk in mud we reached Goulavadi, all dirty. Vasant managed to give me a dhoti and a shirt and a bucket of hot water to take a bath.

After supper I was taken to a meeting led by a Tribal Nirant-panthi Guru. He sang well and spoke better but per longum et latum. He asked the people: “Who is greater: God or Aadhar?”. People did not know how to answer. Then he explained: “The aadhar is the Guru, the support and the basis of our salvation. “GURU VAGAR, NAHI UDDHAR” i.e. “There is no salvation without a Guru.” . Then Amir Master introduced me to the people: “This American Missionary is from Europe and his village is Spain”. I solemnly agreed nodding my head. Then Amir explained the parable of the Good Samaritan, Lk.10, 30-37 and I spoke on “God Our Father, the forgiving Father, Lk, 15,11-32:”. All were enchanted with Christ’s parables. I spoke also about the need to educate our children. It was 1.30 a.m. when I went to rest, while Amir Master taught them in vasavi an “Ubhu Bhajan” - A prayer-dance 'A man had two sons.'

The visit to Goulavadi had created a deep and a positive impact among the Tribals of that area. So after ten days I got a written invitation (Chitti) from the leaders of Umran and Gopelia to visit them because they wanted to know about the new way to God. So, we walked from Kevdi railway station to Goulavadi. Over there we met Pohonabahi, Pichabhai and others. They received us with garlands of flowers. Then we had a prayer-meeting. There was a very friendly atmosphere and joyful singing.

Next morning we walked to the nearby village, Umran. The Mukhi of the village, an elderly man, Nagariabhai, received us with much respect and love. But one of his son-in-laws was a non-gujarati Hindu sadhu, who looked at us with suspicion. But the other son-in-law, Kalidas Kuverji was all for us. He called us for lunch and had a prayer meeting in his house. Young men and some women listened with much attention about the Good News of Christ.

Then we walked about four kms. to Gopelia via Moskut. The welcome was extremely loving and affectionate. Margiabhai, Ramji,. Kotenia, Nurji, Ramji, Vestabhai, Vasania and their wives all were smiling and clapping. We were taken in a procession till the house of Jiriabhai, who offered us supper.

Amir spoke about education and how he entrusted his elder son Shantilal and his elder daughter Shanta to the Fathers and Sisters of Broach for education. Then I had a nice chance to talk about a compassionate God who loves the poor and the sick. Later Nurji spoke: “Some years ago, I had a dream. A man from a distant country came to our village. He spoke of a loving God. So today that dream has been realized in our village.” At 11.30 pm we all went to rest.

In the morning men and women wished us a loving farewell, telling us: “Do come again!”. On the way to Amba we walked for three hours, slowly, greeting every body who came in our way.

A young man who was on a hillock saw us walking towards Amba. He went running to the leader’s house, Ukedia and told him: “Father is coming!”. So at once Ukedia met us. His wife gave us a simple lunch. Then in the afternoon we rested for a while.

In the evening, we visited all the houses including the house of a small shop-keeper, who told me: “I have already received the Light of Sat-Guru-Deu, Nirant!”. He smiled and I too smiled with much love.

Amba’s Adivasis were very simple and many of them were illiterate. After our night meeting Pohnabhai told us: “We are living in darkness. Give us the light of your Guru, Christ!”.

At night some insects had bitten me. I got rashes on hands, chest and legs. I just ignored it.

Next morning we walked to Umarkhadi. The first man we met was an old man, who was very inquisitive: “Who are you? From where have you come? For what have you come? What have you brought for us?” I did not answer but Amir told him: “He is a Father but he cannot get married!.” Then the obvious question was: “How can he be a father if he is not married?” Then Amir replied: “He has taken a vow of brahmachariya (celibacy). Thus he becomes a father to all. In fact in Broach he is a father to 120 poor Children. He feeds and educates them!” The old man looked at me with admiration.

In that big village there were many enthusiastic young men like Gurji Superia, who organized a 'bhajan-mandali' at night. Many young men and women came for the prayer meeting. Their question was: “We are told by the Guru Fakir of Vadi that to eat meat is a sin. What do you say?” At once, Amir answered: “ God created the earth for men including fruit-trees and animals. In fact men are managers of the whole world!” The Adivasis were and are meat-eaters. So they were extremely happy to hear that there is no sin in eating meat.

Next morning we walked to Zankhvav, via Vadi, a “highly” educated tribal village and an important centre of Nirant-pantis. At Zankhvav Railway Station I met a thin and miserable looking man, who told me: “I’m Himatbhai Chandrasing from Renta but I work as a tailor here in Zankhvav. My elder brother Ganpat from Kadvali and I want to meet you. When?” I replied to him: “After 5 days I’ll be coming back from Broach. We will talk at Bbavsar’s tea shop”. Raman Bhavsar and his sons were my good friends.

2.3. GIFTS FROM GOD: TWO LAY MISSIONARIES

All began in a Hindu hotel of Shri Bhavsar, at Zankhvav! I used to reach Zankhvav by train at noon and would take some tea and 'sev-mamra' in his shop. Himatbhai and Ganpatbhai were waiting for me at the Railway Station and they took me to the shop.

Ganpatbhai looked a determined person and after the first greetings told me at once: “I was baptized by Rev. Evereth Fasnacht, an American missionary from the Church of the Brethren. He was a great Missionary. We loved him. For the reasons, you do not need to know, he left us.” Then both brothers said: “We want to keep our faith in Christ, so we are ready to become Catholics and we both will help you in preaching the Gospel in new villages of Kadvali, Ghanagad, Andhikui, Jimavadi, Khodamba and Panch-Amba.

At that point they gave me a letter addressed to American Mission, Rajvadi. “Salams to you. I believe in Christ, and I’ll die believing in Christ. So meanwhile I want to be a missionary and preach in our villages the Good News of Christ” .( Signed by Atia Mama) I asked the two brothers: “Who is this man?”. Ganpat replied: “Atia Mama is fully a man of God. No selfishness in him. He studied in the School of the Church of the Brethren , Ankleshwar. He is a very good singer and dancer.” I was deeply moved by what I heard from Ganpat. I just managed to tell them: “I would like to meet him.”

2.4. LEARNING TO LISTEN . AUGUST, l964

17th MONDAY I Left Bharuch by train for Kosamba and Zankhvav. I reached Kelikuva by bus and walked to Kavachia. I had to carry along with me a big Latin Missal, a holy stone (ara), an alb, stole, cruets, candles, crucifix and clothes for a week. Late in the evening we left for Rajvadi.

At night Amir knocked at the door of his house and called his wife by the name of his daughter “Shanta-Shanta!” who was studying in Broach. So I questioned him: “Why did you not take the name of your wife, Kasi?” He replied at once: “It is not nice to take the name of one’s own wife.” I just listened to him.

18th, TUESDAY. Next morning we walked to Jamoli where a sister of Amir, Devi Picha, received us with much love and gave us an early lunch.

It was clear in the minds of our Tribals of Kavachia and Rajvadi that they needed in this area a Boarding for their children since Bharuch was too far for them.

They thought that Umadabra (Mauza) could be a good Centre since it was a big village and the School had Seven Standards. We met Hepubhai Sarpanch, whose son Bhagu was our boarder in Bharuch . He received us with a smile and listened to us but politely told us that there were no possibilities to buy land in Umadabra for a boarding

Chhindiabhai, a protestant gave us supper. Then we prayed together and had a very loving talk with the family. I slept in the verandah but not so well because it was raining heavily the whole night.

19th, WEDNESDAY. We went walking to Rajvadi. Kasiben, Amir’s wife gave us a good lunch that had to be shared with five children. Though two children Shantilal and Shanta were studying in Bharuch. Then I visited the school and played with children. In the evening we had a nice prayer meeting with the Youth of the village. They spoke against making and drinking liquor in the village

20th, THURSDAY.. The young men got permission from the 'Sarpanch' Jemel to break the pots of liquor. They knew the spots of the daru-pots. So the ‘Operation kicking - the -pots’ was a great success!.

In the evening we went to Vanki, invited by three young men Deepsing, Kalidas and Natwar.. We had prayers and bhajans in the house of one of the young men’s father, Bhurabhai, a well-to-do leader and a Nirant-panthi. We were very well received by few families. Amirbhai was at his best “Guru-vagar, nahi uddhar”. He stressed the point of no-salvation without Jesus. Our Satya-guru-dev.

21st FRIDAY. We left for Nani Phokdi. We had a beautiful reception. After all, it was the village of Amir’s wife, Kasiben . At night we had a very nice prayer meeting. I was taken up by the enthusiasm of young men of the village. Before going to bed, Babu Rupa, the brother-in-law of Amir, told me: “I want to have Christ as my Guru”.

22nd, SATURDAY. We visited the small village of Umar. We were the guests of Amir’s sister. Her elder son, Dharamsing wanted to be some time before a Nirantpanthi disciple. It was then the local guru, Dhamji Bhagat, who told him: “Better you become a disciple of Christ since you have now heard your uncle talking about Christ”.,

23rd, SUNDAY. I celebrated Mass in the Primary School of Rajvadi as usual in Latin and in the Roman rite. There were more men than women and children. The only Catholics were Amir, his wife, Kasiben and Childen. Jemelbhai had attended Mass several times. He used to watch at Mass the movements of the Priest; going to the right and left side of the altar to read the epistle and the gospel respectively, then standing up, giving the back to the people and all of a sudden turning and facing the people several times to say: “The Lord be with you”. Then genuflecting several times with one knee and the end of the Mass kneeling down in front of the altar to say the last three Hail Marys. Jemel clearly told me: “Father, “ Aa kasarat bandh karo” Stop these gymnastics and sit down peacefully to pray”. It made me think seriously about our latin liturgy. In the evening we had a prayer meeting in Kavachia.

24th, MONDAY. Early morning by bus to Zankhvav

Atia Mama was waiting for me at the Bhavsar Hotel. He was small, thin and with very bright eyes. He looked a joyful man. He told me: “I’m in love with the Word of God: The Bible!. I want to share my faith with my brothers and sisters of our area of Nanchal Pradesh. I was working for the Jungle Society of Umarpada so I know some people who want to know about the Good News of Christ and wish to live a better life”. I liked him from the first moment I saw him. He was a true gift from God. At 2.30 p.m. I left by train from Zankhvav to Bharuch. It was a great joy to be back at home and share with our companions, Frs. Arana, Carricas and Moreta our missionary experiences. It was like listening to the Acts of the Apostles as Fr. Carricas used to say.!

2.5.. ADMIRING TRIBAL HOSPITALITY. SEPTEMBER. 1964

5th, SATURDAY. The children of Kavachia ran out to meet me. Raman reached for my haversack and Jagdish grabbed my suitcase from my hands. But it was too much for him and I took it back. A little later a man caught up with me and helped me carry the suitcase. I did not know him but he said he was my friend. We reached Kavachia from Kelikuva. At night, I led the prayers.

6TH, SUNDAY. Catholics came for Mass but some had gone to work to earn their bread. All the same I felt their absence. Fatehsing, the tailor gave me a good lunch. On my way to Rajvadi I met Bhikubhai who invited me to his house. I preached openly about Christ’s love for the poor, the downtrodden, the sick and the sinner to more than hundred Tribals: Vasavas, Gamits and Chaudhris. I had my supper and slept in the house of my Protestant friend.

7th, MONDAY. I inspected the school and examined the children. At 3.00 p.m we left for Kevdi (Uarpada Taluka). No one had invited us there but Christ has to be preached “opportune et inopportune”. We crossed shady jungles, intersected by beautiful and refreshing streams. They pointed out to a place where a tiger had devoured a man. After three and a half hours walk we reached Kevdi

We went to the house of Narsing Nakatia, a tribal land-owner and a business man. I greeted him but he received us coldly. But when he realized that we had not come for a loan but to help the people in matters of education and religion, his attitude changed. He gave us a grand supper and called the people of the village together. Over two hundred people came. Narsing spoke first and praised the selfless work of the missionaries.

I spoke next and thanked Narsing for his hospitality and kindness. Immediately I continued with the message of God’s love for man. It was one o’clock in the morning when we ended. Narsing gave me a dhoti to wrap myself with and I went to bed, tired but very happy.

8th, TUESDAY. The breakfast was coffee and biscuits. Narsing told me that some neighbouring villages like Amba, Zhank, Khaidi were ready to hear the Good News of Christ. Narsing was visibly moved when he bade me good-bye. “Avjo, Father, avjo” “Come again” “Come again” was all he repeated.

On the way back through the forest, I met a forest-officer who offered me two eggs for a 'nasto.' Then a four hour walk and we were at Koyli-Mandvi (Valia Ta.). We bathed in a river. Dahyabhai, a Protestant friend received us into his house. Late in the evening, we spoke, laughed and discussed on Christ’s love for all men and also about the education of children. Kalidas Kasma from Rajvadi had recorded in Vasavi 'The birth of Christ' on the tape-recorder. It was a success. The local people were enchanted hearing the story of Jesus’ birth in their own dialect. They heard it time and again. It was the best sermon preached in Vasava-land. It was at that time that Dahyabhai spoke to me about a village called Zarna.

9th, WEDNESDAY. On reaching Rajvadi, I dashed my foot against a stone and my shoes yawned open like an open mouth. After miles of walking through dust and rivers, the leather was rotten and the shoes gave way. This gave my Catechist an idea. He was accompanying me and took me to the house of Dhanji. He told him, “Dhanji, see how hungry the shoes of Father look. It is noon. Give them something to eat”. Dhanji laughed . So, my shoes and I ate that day in Dhanji’s house and the Catechist too joined us.

I remained for the night in Rajvadi. Young and old people came for the meeting. The village chief, Jemelbhai spoke: “I believed in whatever you tell us about the Good News of Christ, but I cannot believe in the Resurrection of the human body. It is impossible.” I took some time to answer him. Then I told him: “Jemel, first you pray for the gift of faith and read 1 Cor. 15, 20-23 and then I read Ph. 3, 21: “Christ will transfigure these wretched bodies of ours into copies of His glorious Body.” Some women were in tears hearing the words of St. Paul. At night Himmatbhai gave me a nice room and a comfortable bed with very clean bed-sheets.

10th, THURSDAY. Together with the Catechist, I returned to Kavachia and then to Kelikuva to catch the bus. We had an hour to spare and so we rested under the shade of a tree. The bus took us via Zankhvav to Mota Mia Mangrol. At the open bus stand we were greeted with heavy rain and I was completely drenched and dirty. A Muslim shopkeeper told his companion: “See that man. He looks a different type of a beggar!” .

In the street of Mosali, someone called out to me. He seemed to guess, I was a Catholic Missionary. He gave me his name: “Francisco Javier Feliciano de Sequeira”. I embraced with much love this Goan Catholic, a traveling mechanic who told me with certain trace of sadness: “ Father, in this town, there is no Catholic”. Sequeira wished me good-bye and he was off to Vankal to try his fortune.

In the evening I left for Vadsol, a walk of one hour. On the way I met Premabhai, whose wife was from Vakatpura, the first catholic village of Broach District. He had not yet received the post-card announcing my arrival. On the way we crossed the river Kim. There was little water in the river. A month ago the water was neck-deep. At our arrival the children of the village ran towards me shouting for joy. At night we had a prayer meeting. I preached on the miracles of Christ.. Three boys of this village were studying in our Broach Boarding.
11th, FRIDAY. I returned to Mangrol. By ten in the morning I was in Kosamba and caught the train for Broach. I met at the station an ex-Rosarite (Baroda), a Mahomedan. He advised me to organize a show, starring the best actors and actresses of India to help the poor Tribals. I felt it was not a bad idea!

By noon I was back in Broach united with my comrades-in-arms: Arana, Carricas and Moreta. We exchanged impressions. I shared what Chagan, a Christian told me in Vadsol: “Father, ever since my two elder children and I received Baptism, we have never fallen sick. But my wife and my two younger daughters are always sick. I have told them to give up tablets and receive baptism since by becoming Christians we are born to a new life: The life of Christ.”

3..1. SHANTILAL JIVANDAS SHAH OF ZANKHVAV.

Amir Master met Shantilal at the beginning of October 1964 and prepared the way for me to speak to him about the need of land. After few days I went to meet Shantilal Jivandas Shah since I heard he wanted to sell his land. He was a powerful and proud merchant of Zankhvav and an influential Congress leader of that area and native of Nandao, close to Kosamba.

He told me that he had heard much good about missionaries, moving from village to village. Then he said “I too was walking from village to village selling few articles to Adivasis, till I settled down at Zhankhvav. Since then I got much land from them. But I know, I have not behaved properly with them. I want to give land to your institution as donation”. I replied: “Sheth, We are ready to buy land from you to build two boardings for boys and girls and a dispensary for the sick”. His answer was very clear. “By giving land for the poor I’ll obtain merits from the “Uperwallo” God.

I told him, I would inform my Superior of Bharuch Fr. Arana about his proposal. Afterwards, confidentially he told me that he wanted to go to Varanasi to take a holy bath to get rid of all his sins “mara papnu potlu bhare chhe” but he could not go to the river Ganges, on account of his poor health and family problems. Shantilal had got many acres of land from the tribals of Zankhvav area. Thanks to the loans he had given to them.

I went back to my Jesuit community of Bharuch. All were happy to hear the news of the possibility of getting land. Only good Carricas who himself was a bit of a Vanio, son of rich businessman, was surprised and told me: “A banio giving land gratis? How is that?”.

After few days I went back to Zankhvav, met Shantilal who was very happy to hear that we were ready to accept his donation of 12 acres of land. Then Shantilal gave me a chance to chose between: The land after the railway crossing, to the left of the road, going to Vadi or the land after the “Zankhvav-char-rasta” to the left of the road going to Vankal. Shantilal sent his servant to show me both plots I chose the first option because it was more hidden and a bit far from the Bazaar. .

Fr. Arana, the sole Trustee of Catholic Church, Broach, went with Shantilal to Mangrol and signed the land transactions. on the 30th of October, 1964.

3.2. CONSOLIDATING AND ANSWSERING T0 THE CALLINGS OF THE TRIBALS

During the months of November and December 1964, I went on visiting villages of Valia, Mangrol,Umarpada and Dediapada Talukas regularly and with full backing of my Jesuit Community of Broach.  Ganpat and Atia Mama were volunteer Catechists. Thanks to them and to Amir Master. People were instructed in the Faith, in the Bible, in reciting prayers and singing hymns. We used to have three days of religious instructions in many villages.

It was in Kavachia on the 8th of November, 1964, that I baptized 24 people: 7 from Rajvadi, 6 from Gundia, 6 from Goulavadi and 5 from Kavachia.

After that I went to give an eight days-retreat to the Carmelite Missionaries of Junagadh. They found me very thin and pale. They took pity on me. So they fed me with solid and tasty dishes. In return, I tried my best to give them solid spiritual food.

4.1. THE LONGEST MISSIONARY EXCURSION. NOVEMBER, 1964.

Back to Broach and from there to Kevdi railway station. Over there Amir, Ganpat and Atia Mama were waiting for me. Ganpat had organized the longest walking tour from Kevdi to Gaisabar (Sagbara Ta.). First we walked to Goulavadi. The first Mass was celebrated for the new 6 Christians and others. We slept in the small shop of Vasant Chita.

Next morning we visited the houses of our friends of Umran. Kalidas Kuverji gave us tea. And afterwards we proceeded to Gopelia.Over there they received us with much love. At night, we invited the parents to send their children to our Catholic Boarding of Broach. At 5.00 a.m. we left from Gopelia towards Sagbara Taluka, crossing the southern and eastern areas of Dediapada Taluka, passing close to Relva-Bharada, Chikda, Bombay Company. We were very happy when we entered Sagbara area. We reached Dev-Rupan late in the evening. This village according to their leaders was an “enlightened village” because the best tribal farmers had become Nirant Panthis.

The younger sister of Ganpat , Rayaben was married in this village.We four were her guests. At night we had a fantastic meeting. All the Nirant-panthis were dressed up in white Dhoti, Kurta and Topi. It was an impressive sight. They began singing hymns to Lord Krishna. Then Ganpatbhai was invited to talk. He accepted their invitation with a smile and thanked the leaders for allowing him to speak. At the beginning, he was very sweet to them. At that point he said courageously : “I too, was a Krishna Bakth (Devotee). Then I began studying seriously the Hiindu Scriptures. But after much reflection and prayer I cannot accept the caste system. God is Our Father. We all are equals, children of the same Father. We all are brothers and sisters. Let God, Our Father bless you all”. They replied as usual: “Sat-guru-dev-ki Jay! Mata-ki jay!”

Afterwards Atia Mama in his unique style sang and danced with his “manjira” in his hands and spoke about the creation of man and woman. After explaining Gen. 1,26-27, he said: “After all in our language “Adam” means man and “He-va” means woman”. Atia Mama got a shower of clapping. Then Amir Master spoke very well; “We all belong to one family”. Then I spoke about the slogan “Jan Seva, Prabhu Seva” based on Mat.25, 40, “In so far as you did this to one of the least brothers of mine, you did it to me”. When we went to rest, it was past 2.00 o’clock a.m.

Next morning we walked to Gaisabar. Narsing Chandrasing, younger brother of Ganpat received us with much love. He had two wives and 7 children. He was a man of all trades;driver, mechanic, mason, and carpenter but not a steady worker.

In the evening we had a prayer meeting. There were a good number of Christian families baptized by the pastors of the Church of the Brethren. But at that time they were like sheep without shepherd.

We spoke about “Christ, the Good Shepherd”. John 10,11: “I am the Good Shepherd: The good shepherd is one who lays down his life for his sheep”. The response of the people was very positive

At dawn we started walking back “home” At the entrance of Dediapada Taluka, Ganpat and Atia Mama took the way to go back to Kadvali and Panchamba. I walked with Amir Master to Dediapada town. From there by bus to Netrang and Kavachia. We rested peacefully at Amir’s house.

Next day we inaugurated with much joy the first chapel of that area. A piece of land was given by Chita Janjiria,. the elder brother of Amir.


3.3. THE XIV INTERNATIONAL EUCHARISTIC CONGRESS OF BOMBAY DECEMBER 1964

At the Railway station of Broach there was a great excitement at the beginning of December among the new Christians from Vakatpura, Talodra, Panvadi, Nana Jambuda, Mandara, Shertan, Kavachia and Rajvadi because they were going for the first time to Bombay by train on the occasion of the International Eucharistic Congress.

The Committee of the “IECB” had prepared some new houses in Andheri for our pilgrims. Before we reached Andheri Railway Station our people were told to be ready with their belongings and get out quickly from the train but some remained in the train and landed in Bombay Central. It was a great joy for all of us when they reached Andheri after few hours of much tension.

The celebrations took place at Cooperage Stadium, presided by Pope Paul VI. It was very impressive to see huge crowds of people praying and taking part in the Eucharist. People from all the corners of the world participated with much faith and love in the liturgy. Many Presidents, Prime Ministers, few Kings of different countries, even Indira Gandhi, Minister of Information and Tourism were present.

The impact of the Eucharistic Congress was very positive among all our Tribals. They experienced the universality of the Catholic Church. I was very happy with the reactions of our Adivasis. Besides my elder brother, Fr. Lorenzo S.J. had come for the E.C. with Frs. Florentino Azcoitia and Fr. Gustavo Sheifler from Loyola Province. Then we came back to Broach.

On the 9th of December my brother Lorenzo baptized seven people in Kavachia. That day Lorenzo was the happiest man in the world.

Next day we went walking to Rajvadi. The welcome to Lorenzo was most beautiful and loving. Then Amir Master thanked Lorenzo for his love for the Missions. At that point he began talking about the Eucharistic Congress: “Here we are few Christians and we do not know how to pray together. But in Bombay so many thousand Catholics prayed together and sang as one in unison. It was the most beautiful and very touching”. Then he added: “In all the corners of Bombay you find beautiful and big Catholic Churches. I could not see a single Hindu Temple” At the end he said: “We are very proud of our forest and big trees” After that he said laughing: “ But in Victoria Garden I saw several trees, three times higher than the tallest tree of our area”. People clapped with great joy.

At the dawn of the following day we walked to Kavachia and Kelikuva. From there by bus to Zankhvav and then by train to Broach.

At the farewell Lorenzo could not hide his tears of joy and told me: “I will always back the Missions of Gujarat”

3..4. MY FIRST CHRISTMAS IN THE MISSIONS, DECEMBER, 24, 25, 26, -1964.

On the 24th of December from early morning the new Catholics of Kavachia started preparing a small Crib in front of the new chapel. They had brought branches and mud, bamboos and stones. So it was easy for them to prepare a simple but beautiful crib. On the top it was written, Lk.,2, 14: “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and peace to men who enjoys his favour’ Ramji Chhagan, Shantilal Amir and Shanta Amir were very happy and proud of their work. . .

At night we had a Programme prepared by the young boys and girls. The Adivasis were enchanted to see their own people acting as St. Joseph, Mother Mary, and the shepherds. But the real hit was when small children acted as sheep so all the Tribals enjoyed and laughed a lot.

Mid-night Mass was in the open. It was a bit cold but people remained till the end. On the 25th morning we left for Rajvadi. I was very happy to meet Jemel, Dhanji, Mauji Gamit Himmat, Ukeria Patel , Chunilal, Abhesing, Bhula, Deuji Saula, Kalidas Kasma and wish them “Natalni Soneri Salam:”.

The young men and women had prepared some kind of a crib in front of our “kacha” school.

Many people gathered for the Christmas Programme. All were eager to see their children acting, singing and dancing

The school children were at their best. So specially the mothers were clapping, shouting and cheering them up enthusiastically. But their joy was short lived.

All of a sudden we heard people shouting: “Fire, fire!”

We could see a house on fire. All the villagers left and ran to help the poor family. They did their best to extinguish the fire but practically the house was fully destroyed. But they could save their belonging.

Back to Broach, all the Fathers of Broach went by train to Anand for the “Missionary Meeting”. It was a great joy to meet Missionaries of Sabarkantha, Mehsana, Saurashtra, Kheda and South Gujarat. The Provincial of Gujerat, Fr. Francis Braganza encouraged all of us to go ahead with our commitment to Christ and his people. Prizes were distributed to all the commnuties. 

Thanks to all who will read this paper, based on my notes, circular letters and diaries. Special thanks to the Fathers of Zankhvav, Amir Master and Fr. Raymund Chauhan S.J. for their cooperation!

I’m very grateful to Fr. Erwin Lazrado S.J. , Parish Priest of Zankhvav who invited me to write my missionary experiences at Zankhvav on the occasion of the Golden Jubilee of the Primary School of Rajvadi (Ta.Valia).

Source: Golden Jubilee - Smrutigranth - Isunath Mandir - Zankhvav

- Special thanks to Zankhvav Fathers and Sisters and parishneres.
BBN thanks Taral Parmar, Macwan Steven and Paresh Parmar

- BBN
Bhumel Broadcasting Network


0 Add comments:

Post a Comment


Thank you and stay connected